Updated: May 8, 2023
Please watch the tutorial video on how to fill out the forms here: Refugee Benefits Tutorial (IOM)
If you would like to participate in the R&P Program, you must complete, sign, and return scanned copies of the following two forms:
- Refugee Benefits Election Form – June 2021 version
- Special Immigrant Visa Biodata Form (DS-234) – June 2021 version
You only need one copy of Refugee Benefits Election Form for each case. You only need to fill out one DS-234 Form for everyone in your case.
If you have more than 6 children, please make more copies of the last page and fill out your children information.
When should I send these forms? Should I wait for visa to be issued?
- You should complete these two forms as soon as possible while you are still waiting before your visa has been issued. You should send these forms so that they can begin processing of your case and book your travel after your visa has been issued.
- Do not wait for visa to be issued to apply for IOM!
- After your visa has been issued, send copies of the visa to SIV_OPE@iom.int
- IOM will not book your flight until you have send copies of your US visas and passports together.
Where to send the forms?
- Sign the last page of the “Refugee Benefits Election Form” and scan it into PDF format.
- Fill out the DS-234 forms in desktop/laptop and save in PDF format.
- If you already have visa issued, scan copies of visa in PDF format.
- Scan copies of your passport(s) in PDF format.
- Attach all forms, passport and visa copies in PDF format and email to: SIV_OPE@iom.int
- You might not get auto-reply, this is normal. Please have patience and wait for IOM to process your case.
I got visa issued, what should I do?
After getting visa issued, if you have not already applied for the refugee benefits, then follow the above instructions to apply and include visa copy of each person in your case, including children.
It is very important to have patience, wait and allow IOM to process your case to book your flight tickets. The priority is given to those with short visa expiration dates.
Please do not compare your case with other SIV cases since IOM processing speed will depend visa expiration dates, city selection, etc.
How many luggage bags and how much weight can I fly with on IOM flights?
The luggage policy constantly changes. Please ask IOM about the latest luggage policy when picking up your flight tickets.
Note: The U.S. Department of State’s Reception and Placement (R&P) Program only covers your first 30-90 days in the United States.
What is the IOM email address again?
IOM email address is: SIV_OPE@IOM.INT